Upcoming intake dates
- April 9, 2018
- June 4, 2018
- September 17, 2018
- November 5, 2018
- January 9, 2019
- February 18, 2019
Course Aims & Objectives
The provision of a follow on course from our Kick Start programme for 15 – 24 year olds introducing them to CAR SERVICING.
Learners will be able to demonstrate:-
- Minimum of 80% attendance and completion rates.
- Introduction to car servicing skills.
- Safe working practices in the workshop.
- the legal requirements for putting a car on the road.
- Produce a body of evidence of their work
- Transport of learners to The Wheels Project is not provided.
- The practice riding session is held on private land during week 6.
- A learner's participation in the skills riding event is at the discretion of the Wheels' Supervisors - any learner whose behaviour is considered to be too risky on the grounds of safety, or who has missed any sessions, will not qualify to take part.
- All skills riding events are run by qualified, experienced Wheels' staff and under strict supervision.
An integrated learning facility combining basic mechanical theory with the repair and maintenance of a small saloon car together with a basic input covering the legal requirements for vehicle use on the highways.
A modern, fully equipped motor vehicle workshop and classrooms.
2 cars (small hatchbacks) for the students to work on.
Mock Theory Tests now available on line at www.driving-tests.co.uk
Other useful links:-
A comprehensive range of workshop equipment overalls, gloves, safety boots, goggles, – all provided by The Wheels Project.
1 x 2 ½ hour session a week for 6 weeks.
All groups attend The Wheels Project without the presence of others with the aim of reducing distractions and aiding concentration. All eligible groups will compete in an Arrive and Drive event during the final session of each term.
Brakes – Workshop Supervisors
- Review and Evaluation of Kick Start programme – 30 mins
- Content and Structure of programme – 15 mins
- Purpose of Brakes – types, layout – 30 mins
- Strip and Examination of brakes – 75 mins
Cooling System – Workshop Supervisors
- Purpose of Cooling System – 30 mins
- Layout of Cooling System – 30 mins
- Remove and Refit Radiator & Cooling Fan – 90 mins
Wheels and Tyres – Workshop Supervisors
- Purpose of Wheels and Tyres – 20 mins
- Legal requirements – 25 mins
- Types of Wheels and Tyres – 15 mins
- Remove, Refit and Re-balance a tyre – 90 mins
MOT and Bodywork Checks – Workshop Supervisors
- Purpose of MOT Certificate – 30 mins
- Purpose of Bodywork Checks – 30 mins
- Inspect to Buy exercise – 90 mins
Servicing and Evaluation – Workshop Supervisors
- Reasons for Servicing – 30 mins
- Service a car – 90 mins
- Complete feedback – 30 mins
- Karting event
HEALTH AND SAFETY SESSION
One of these sessions will be REPLACED by a HEALTH & SAFETY session if the Kick Start introductory course has not been previously undertaken.
All students who complete at least 4 of the first 6 sessions of this course may be eligible to participate in a karting event at TeamSport, Avonmouth (see the bullet points below).
All groups attend The Wheels Project without the presence of others with the aim of reducing distractions and aiding concentration. All eligible groups will compete in an Arrive and Drive event at the end of each term.
Arrive and Drive Karting Event held at TeamSport, Third Way, Avonmouth, Bristol (Tel: 08444 109 109).
- Wheels’ Supervisors have the discretion to bar a student from attending the karting session, on the grounds of safety, if that student’s behaviour throughout the course has caused sufficient concern. The student will be informed of this decision during the final session at Wheels prior to karting.
- Learners will be excluded from Karting at end of term if they are absent for more than two planned sessions.
- A student will not be allowed to attend the karting event if he/she has not returned the signed parent/guardian consent form (given out during the first session at Wheels) by the week before karting at the latest.
- At least one member of staff from the referral organisation must be present at the karting session and he/she must be sufficiently familiar with the students to manage effectively any incidents that may occur during the event.
- One member of staff accompanying a group will be able to take part in the karting, provided there are at least two members of staff present representing that organisation.
- In-house certificate of completion.
- OCR National Skills Profile Servicing Module in Motor Vehicle Studies (optional) – Entry 3
- Groups will be pre-formed by the referring organisation.
- Group size is 4 – 8 learners.
- Wheels does not have more than one group at its centre at any one time.
- Any Learners starting the programme late will not qualify for CBT course.
- A Risk Assessment on learners must be completed by Key Workers before start of course – those with history of violent behaviour are excluded from Wheels programmes.
Learners’ behaviour should be causing concern to group leaders and exhibit at least three of the following factors:
- Aged between 15 – 24
- Anti-social behaviour
- Poor educational record
- Exclusion from school
- Criminal record
Intakes for groups occur at the start of each academic term and also during the Summer holidays.
Have a look at our intake dates.
The Wheels Project Ltd
31-32 Bonville Road
Bristol BS4 5QH
Tel: 0117 971 1711
Contact: David Glossop, General Manager
- 2 Workshop Supervisors from The Wheels Project
- 1 Teacher/Youth Leader
- Transport of students to The Wheels Project is not provided.
- TeamSport, Third Way, Avonmouth, Bristol (Tel: 08444 109 109).
- No alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed and anyone suspected of being under the influence will be excluded for that session.
- Students who repeatedly break the rules agreed in week 1 will be warned by our supervisors, their referring officer notified and may be excluded from the group permanently if that behaviour continues
- Violent behaviour will result in immediate removal from the course.
- Students will be warned against bullying behaviour and will be removed from the course if this behaviour persists.